by Nicole Holloran, Director of First Step
The purpose of medical withdrawal management is to remove the physical risks associated with dependency to alcohol and drugs to males and females 18+. At First Step, our medical team works around the clock to ensure that our clients receive the medical attention they need to safely taper off harmful substances such as benzodiazepines, opiates, and alcohol. We accept those utilizing medicated assisted treatment, and our clinical staff works mindfully to provide a therapeutic environment, display empathy, and coordinate individualized aftercare planning. Our team includes many experienced, professional, and compassionate humans who are here to help.
What happens when I reach out for help?
- Phone screening: We know this decision takes courage and trust, and we don’t take that for granted nor should any treatment center you reach out to for help. The first step (pun intended!) is to call us at 203-416-1915 for a phone screening with a clinical staff member to answer some questions about your substance use, mental health, and medical history. We suggest finding a quiet, private place to make the call and avoid using speaker phone. The entire process will take roughly 30 minutes.
- Schedule an appointment: After the phone screening, you’ll find out if you meet the criteria for admission and an appointment will be scheduled. Sometimes this can be accommodated the same day, other times it can be a couple of days later. If there is a wait time, you can call back daily to inquire if an appointment becomes available sooner due to unanticipated cancelations. It is important to note that while the wait can be frustrating, your decision to better your life is worth the wait! Don’t give up and seek other healthy supports in the meantime. You’ve got this!
- Front End and Medical Assessment: When you arrive, the front end piece involves reviewing general rules, protocols, and patient rights. Your property will be searched and logged, so only bring approved items. After initial paperwork is completed, you will submit a urine sample and take a shower. Property you intend to keep on the unit will need to be washed at this point and returned later in day. Nursing will then conduct a medical assessment before introducing you to your primary counselor.
- Counseling Intake Assessment: Your counselor will complete an integrated intake assessment, transition plan, and treatment plan with you. This is a great opportunity to be honest so the team can you help you the best they can and set you up for success in your recovery.
- Physical Exam: Lastly, a physical exam will be conducted by a doctor within the first 24 hours of treatment.
What Can I bring?
Here is a list of approved items you can bring to First Step:
- 4 shirts (no tank tops)
- 4 pants/shorts (no holes or “booty shorts”)
- 4 pairs of underwear
- 4 pairs of socks
- 4 bras
- 1 pair of shoes
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 winter coat
- 1 set of pajamas
- 1 towel
- *two masks
- Books, notebooks, pencils, colored pens (no metal bound notebooks and no lead pencils allowed)
- Cigarettes: We have 6 breaks per day for all residents, and 2 bonus breaks to incentivize group participation for any who attend. Usually, people bring between 2-5 sealed packs of cigarettes with them depending on their anticipated stay.
- Photo ID
- Insurance Card
- Covid Vaccination card (not mandatory)
- All medications
A few notes about property:
*****Residents cannot share or borrow cigarettes from one another, no vape or electronic cigarettes, no cigars, no rolled cigarettes, no opened packages, no marijuana.
***** All clothing is washed and dried at high heat. Do not bring clothing that is of high value.
***** All shoes will go into a hotbox; Timberlands cannot usually withstand this process.
*****Drugs, alcohol, paraphernalia, weapons of any sort will be disposed of immediately.
***** Avoid bringing cash or valuable electronics.
***** Toiletries will be provided; residents cannot bring their own.
Have any other questions about withdrawal management? Give us a call! We are here to help and admire your strength in taking that First Step!
425 Grant Street, Bridgeport, CT 06610